Autor Tema: Proposed new Battles, Scenes, and relevant data  (Leído 6661 veces)

LOMAX

• Flota inglesa
  • id. 11 Escuadra: Jalvajo y la Espingarda
    • Ver Perfil
Proposed new Battles, Scenes, and relevant data
« en: Abril 03, 2008, 05:18:33 pm »
This topic points to compile information brings over of historical battles in order them to be able to play in Velmad. thank you for your contributions.
id. 11

Munrox

• Administrator
    • Ver Perfil
    • Velmad
Re: Proposed new Battles, Scenes, and relevant data
« Respuesta #1 en: Abril 05, 2008, 05:09:09 pm »
Currently there are 7 scenarios in the Velmad Library:

- Battle of the Mediterranean 1798
- Battle of Cape Saint Vincent 1797
- Battle of Cape Finisterre 1805
- Battle of Trafalgar 1805
- Battle of Havana 1748
- Battle of Dogger Bank 1781
- Battle of Camperdown (Kamperduin) 1797

More sceranios are in process. You can suggest new ones that you would like to play to, and maybe provide information about them.

Aaron

• Ver Perfil
« Respuesta #2 en: Abril 07, 2008, 09:05:38 pm »
The Nile is a bit limited, but this site has a nice map and OoB: http://www.nelsonsnavy.co.uk/broadside1.html

The Mauritius campaign has always been a favorite of mine as the battles are small. http://www.wargamer.com/aos/mauritius-intro.asp
Velmad ID 182

Wishgamer

• ID. 62
    • Ver Perfil
« Respuesta #3 en: Abril 07, 2008, 09:15:21 pm »
Hello Aaron, thatnks for your cooperation.

In regards of The Nile, it is the one you'll find as Mediterranean. If you take a look into the scenaries' library you'll see the OOB is exactly the one you reported. Also, taking a look into the Open Battles section, you will find battles 20, 52 and 55 being played there.

And about Mauritius only tell that this link didn't work for me as it drives me to Matrix Games page and to wargamer's home page. I will take a look and see if I can find it there.

Best regards, Wishgamer
   Escuadra    Plus Ultra   

Aaron

• Ver Perfil
« Respuesta #4 en: Abril 07, 2008, 09:26:56 pm »
Sorry. Try http://www.wargamer.com/aos/manifest.asp. You do get an ad at first, but there should be a link under it to take you on to the page.

I do see the Nile there now, my apologies. It is funny how the different sides can never seem to agree on a name for a battle. We even did it in our own civil war (Manassas versus Bull Run for ex).

Aaron
Velmad ID 182

Wishgamer

• ID. 62
    • Ver Perfil
« Respuesta #5 en: Abril 07, 2008, 09:33:25 pm »
Ok, finally found it hehehe. It is under Age of Sail's game's page

It has some nice maps and OOB's. Thanks Aaron.
   Escuadra    Plus Ultra   

Peon9

• ASG
  • ID. 53
    • Ver Perfil
« Respuesta #6 en: Abril 08, 2008, 12:00:36 am »

I do see the Nile there now, my apologies. It is funny how the different sides can never seem to agree on a name for a battle. We even did it in our own civil war (Manassas versus Bull Run for ex).

Aaron

Hi Aaron, wellcome to Velmad!  ;)

By the moment, there aren't shore and earth; therfore the shore escenarios aren't possible. For this reason the Battle of the Nile is called the Battle of the Mediterranean as if both fleets were encountered sailing. The Battle of the Nile (as others as Copenhaguen i.e.) will come when we have shore!  ;D

Excuse my english, that is not as good as Whisgamer's !  :P

Regards

TV REGERE IMPERIO FLUCTUS, HISPANIA MEMENTO

CyJan

• Ver Perfil
    • Three Decks Naval History Wiki
« Respuesta #7 en: Abril 08, 2008, 09:49:26 am »
Hi

Have you considered doing some smaller actions of four or five ships a side upwards?

Strachans's action of 1805 (post trafalgar)
or Lissa 1811 http://3decks.pbwiki.com/Battle+of+Lissa
or The Gut of Gibraltar http://3decks.pbwiki.com/The+Gut+of+Gibraltar
or many actions in the East indies (Cuddalore, Pondicherry) etc.

Cy
If you have time to write it down, it isn't important!

Wishgamer

• ID. 62
    • Ver Perfil
« Respuesta #8 en: Abril 08, 2008, 10:16:59 am »

By the moment, there aren't shore and earth; therfore the shore escenarios aren't possible. For this reason the Battle of the Nile is called the Battle of the Mediterranean as if both fleets were encountered sailing. The Battle of the Nile (as others as Copenhaguen i.e.) will come when we have shore!  ;D

Regards

Hi there and welcome to the International Side of Velmad Admiral Peon9. Don't apologize for your English compared to mine as I must admit mine does stink like a dead rat LOL.

Allow me to recommend you to read through this English forum as people is giving good ideas for new scenarios and maybe some you might have not think about ;)

In fact, now that we made the jump to the "English side of the world" I'm certain our US friends would appreciate some US frigates in some of their own scenarios. Not that we are in a hurry at all, but just some food for thought as they'd say ;)

Best regards, Wishgamer, with that "h" after the "s" hehehehehee  :D
   Escuadra    Plus Ultra   

Peon9

• ASG
  • ID. 53
    • Ver Perfil
« Respuesta #9 en: Abril 08, 2008, 10:22:57 am »
Hi

Have you considered doing some smaller actions of four or five ships a side upwards?

Strachans's action of 1805 (post trafalgar)
or Lissa 1811 http://3decks.pbwiki.com/Battle+of+Lissa
or The Gut of Gibraltar http://3decks.pbwiki.com/The+Gut+of+Gibraltar
or many actions in the East indies (Cuddalore, Pondicherry) etc.

Cy

Hi Cy!,

Wellcome to Velmad too!.

Yes, believe me ;) all that scenarios are in our mind... but we have to take care of Munrox, who has to implemented them. And it is better going step by step because it brings much time and work for him. But in the near future... almost all of them are coming...  8)

It's a pity that we haven't shores because there are many interesting scenarios in this manner... but "time to time"  ;)

I know very well that site and the forum behind it  ;) It one of the better naval pages in Internet!. But for some data there are another very interesting pages... have you visit www.todoababor.es ? I thing, the best.  :)

Well, now i am helping Munrox with some new scenarios, and all help is wellcome of course! . For instance, it is very difficult to find good information about Turkish battles... or artillery in some scenarios... etc. Togheter, we can define a very good scenarios and enjoying them playing between us!  ;)

Peon9

• ASG
  • ID. 53
    • Ver Perfil
« Respuesta #10 en: Abril 08, 2008, 10:36:25 am »

Regards

Hi there and welcome to the International Side of Velmad Admiral Peon9. Don't apologize for your English compared to mine as I must admit mine does stink like a dead rat LOL.

Allow me to recommend you to read through this English forum as people is giving good ideas for new scenarios and maybe some you might have not think about ;)

In fact, now that we made the jump to the "English side of the world" I'm certain our US friends would appreciate some US frigates in some of their own scenarios. Not that we are in a hurry at all, but just some food for thought as they'd say ;)

Best regards, Wishgamer, with that "h" after the "s" hehehehehee  :D

Jajajaa!  :D

It's true! i forget again the corret place of the 'h' in your nick!... it is for writting in english!  :P

Yes, i am very interested in all type of contribution for new scenarios. In the case of heavy and very good US frigates, it is difficult to make an scenario because almost all their battles are "one to one" and it limits the number of players... but it is possible to incluide too, of course!. US Navy, hasn't War Fleet in Squadrons composed for Ships Of the line until some years after Napoleonic Wars, and for this reason there weren't scenarios against France or Britain... but we can prepare one... "hypotetycal"  ;) ... for instance, can you imagine the spectacular three decker USS Pensylvannia(120) in close combat  :o ? ... it sounds great!  8)

In sum, we have to think how include the US Navy in Velmad' scenarios. If not, we have always the next Strategic Velmad...   :)

Je, je, WisHgamer, you are a crack!  ;)

PD: It's genial write in english and trying to improve it!

CyJan

• Ver Perfil
    • Three Decks Naval History Wiki
« Respuesta #11 en: Abril 08, 2008, 03:39:48 pm »
Peon9

www.todoababor.es is one of the best, but only for the Spanish Navy AND its in Spanish, which I don't speak, although I can work my way through when its written. I oftern refer to it when researching information for 3decks.pbwiki.com.

To reply to something else, the Pennsylviania might have been big, but she was also an extremely bad sailor, crank and leewardly with excessive roll (which makes her a poor gun platform) and she was enormously expensive to commission, which is why it never happened. See http://3decks.pbwiki.com/USS+Pennsylvania

CyJan
If you have time to write it down, it isn't important!

Aaron

• Ver Perfil
« Respuesta #12 en: Abril 08, 2008, 03:50:26 pm »
You both write more clearly in English than I would in Spanish. Sadly I only know enough French and Italian to say please, thank you, Where is the bathroom? and Sorry, I'm just a dumb tourist." ;D
Velmad ID 182

Wishgamer

• ID. 62
    • Ver Perfil
« Respuesta #13 en: Abril 08, 2008, 04:01:54 pm »
hehehehehe Aaron, don't feel bad. You might be a tourist, but I don't think you're dumb for not speaking another language. In fact, while I do feel somehow confident about being able to express myself fairly well in English when we WRITE/READ... I'm plain unable to SPEAK English... forget about LISTENING. I have two walls instead of ears when it has to do with listening a conversation and try to catch at least a pair of words to build the conversation on my own imagination  :D

BTW, thanks for the compliments and something good is that anytime soon we will be speaking the same Language: the gunnery's one  ;)
   Escuadra    Plus Ultra   

stieli1

• British fleet
    • Ver Perfil
« Respuesta #14 en: Abril 03, 2010, 07:44:09 pm »
If new scenarios are still an issue, I think I could contribute with an extensive collection:

a) "Clash of Arms" published two additions to their 18th Century naval battle game. Rebel Seas with 10 or so scenarios from the War of Independence and Monsoon Seas with the battles between Suffren and Hughs in the Indian Ocean. The original game of course, includes a lot of scenarios (30 or so), too.  In many cases they are not covered in WSIM. The game and add-on's are still in CoAs sales list, so there may be a "copyright issue".

b) I do have an very old collection ( asmall booklet dating back from the late '70s) of 100+ small scale actions. Mostly Frigate vs Frigtae and some small SoL battles

c) from the good old WSIM/Genral times, I have several sceanrio collections, like
- Small scale actions between Brits and Us in the War of 1812
- Scenarios for the Russian-Swedish war
- Sceanrios for the Russian-Turkish war
- "Pirate" scenrios, incl the East Indian Company for WSIM

b) and c) is pretty old stuff, I am nbot quite sure about the copright situation here.

All of that should be good enough as a start for new Velamd scenarios, if there is an need.

Reagards

Stilei1