Autor Tema: Somewhere to discuss about flag's handbook  (Leído 10192 veces)

edward pellew

• British fleet
  • id: 251
    • Ver Perfil
Re: Somewhere to discuss about flag's handbook
« Respuesta #15 en: Octubre 19, 2008, 04:44:03 pm »
Question:

1. If a ship is out of visual range, I can't even find it on Far, is it out of signal flag range?

2. Does darkness & fog have the same effect on seeing signal flags as it does on seeing ships?
the rain in Spain falls mainly from the sky

Munrox

• Administrator
    • Ver Perfil
    • Velmad
« Respuesta #16 en: Octubre 19, 2008, 06:43:55 pm »
Actually flag have no range limit.

Flag system is another thing on the "next to change" list. Flags will be displayed on ship's info screen. The ships on the same side, into range and with their see-line unblocked will see them.

Wishgamer

• ID. 62
    • Ver Perfil
« Respuesta #17 en: Octubre 20, 2008, 11:03:08 am »
Flag system is another thing on the "next to change" list. Flags will be displayed on ship's info screen. The ships on the same side, into range and with their see-line unblocked will see them.

wouldn't it be TERRIFIC? Thanks so very much Munrox
   Escuadra    Plus Ultra   

Wishgamer

• ID. 62
    • Ver Perfil
« Respuesta #18 en: Octubre 21, 2008, 07:23:33 pm »
Hahahahaha. Well, lets try it:

1. That flags combo is as easy to read as it is ;D Ok, now seriously: It is sent to the ships inside a division. So they should form a line and sail North West. Nothing said about speed, so keep it as it is now adjusting as needed.

2. To form a line without changing sails, requires some experience, and LOADS of coordination. First it should be marked an order of line to form saying which ship should be in front of the group, which behnid and so on. Then, if you need less speed, go against the wind, if you need more... you get what I mean, don't you? Play with your relative position against the wind is a solution to do it.

3. If I were to know what would stocks do, trust me I wouldn't be working about 12-14 hours a day :P

Hope these qualify as answers ;)
   Escuadra    Plus Ultra   

Munrox

• Administrator
    • Ver Perfil
    • Velmad
« Respuesta #19 en: Octubre 21, 2008, 07:28:04 pm »
Maintaining a line of battle at full sail is very difficult. You need long distances between ships and in the end you need change sail. Anyway, to battle in line you need change to light or medium sail and then you could maintaining line of battle easier.

edward pellew

• British fleet
    • Ver Perfil
« Respuesta #20 en: Octubre 21, 2008, 08:36:31 pm »
thank you for your answers
I removed the post because I realized the information is still of use. I should have done private message.

what I didn't say was that there is no additional information as you say would be needed and there is little space to make the changes before we run into many ships.

I think the signal should be #9- all together, #3- veer, #28- as possible
or we will have many wonderful crashes

Wishgamer

• ID. 62
    • Ver Perfil
« Respuesta #21 en: Octubre 27, 2008, 05:01:51 pm »
Hello Vernon.

1. I'd say the good one is the first one. Support your center division or just the flagship. You should know what is in worse danger ;)
To group your ships you already have a flag, didn't you see it? ::)

2. Yes, but once again the idea wanted by Munrox is that we don't have very precise messages so there is no risk of admirals trying to null Captains with so precise orders. Also, this way we have some room for misunderstanding ;)

3. Why 5 unassigned? why that number? there are 25 flags and that's all I know about hehehe.

;)
   Escuadra    Plus Ultra   

edward pellew

• British fleet
    • Ver Perfil
« Respuesta #22 en: Octubre 29, 2008, 05:25:09 pm »
Well my friend, after going over all the flags I see it #8, but not one of 4 captains noticed. That is a problem having 4 or even 5  :o words for 1 flag. (it also is slightly confusing using "closed" instead of "close"  ;)

So what are you saving 26-30 for, Tibetan prayer flags? I will design for you flags if that is what you need?

Wishgamer

• ID. 62
    • Ver Perfil
« Respuesta #23 en: Octubre 29, 2008, 05:43:36 pm »
Well, I'm yet to understand why 30 flags instead of 25? Munrox designed this with 25 and that's all that we have. As far as I know, there is no intention to add those flags you mention. I'm absolutely lost.

In regards of those flags with multiple meanings, I did find them that way and just translated them into a handbook. I'm not much excited about the confussion they might give us, but once again, that adds some spice to the game  ;)
   Escuadra    Plus Ultra   

edward pellew

• British fleet
    • Ver Perfil
« Respuesta #24 en: Octubre 30, 2008, 04:20:13 pm »
W. I did not mean to give you a difficult time.
I thought you had designed the flags and were Commander in Chief of the Office of Naval Signals.

Wishgamer

• ID. 62
    • Ver Perfil
« Respuesta #25 en: Octubre 30, 2008, 07:28:02 pm »
No C. don't get me wrong. I'm not saying you gave me a difficult time. Absolutely not. My doubt is yet why 30 and not 25? that is, is there any standard used in those times with 30 flags or something like that? I'm just curious hehehehe.

Here I'm commander of nothing just like in real life lol, I'm just trying to help the same you do commenting and giving good info and discussion so many times ;)
   Escuadra    Plus Ultra   

Wishgamer

• ID. 62
    • Ver Perfil
« Respuesta #26 en: Noviembre 10, 2008, 07:21:56 pm »
there is where messages are appearing now my friend ;)
   Escuadra    Plus Ultra   

edward pellew

• British fleet
    • Ver Perfil
« Respuesta #27 en: Noviembre 11, 2008, 07:20:41 am »
New Signal Message Location

Perhaps the discussion about the new message location was in the spanish forum, I did not see it in the english.

The problem with placing signal messages in the Sender's Information box, is that assumes you know a certain captain is sending you a message, so you go to their Information box to read what it says. But of course you don't know when you are going to be sent a message or who is going to send it. It could be any ship in your fleet that is passing within 150 m. or any ship in your division or your division admiral or your fleet admiral.

Because you don't know you are being sent a message, it is likely that many messages will be missed. During fleet manoeuvers at the beginning of a battle that could cause many collisions.

As much as I like improvements, I am not seeing the advantage of moving signals into the Info box.

« Última modificación: Noviembre 11, 2008, 05:24:58 pm por coffee »

Wishgamer

• ID. 62
    • Ver Perfil
« Respuesta #28 en: Noviembre 11, 2008, 07:27:12 am »
hmmm... I dunno if it is here or there. Should be answered by Munrox himself ;) But yes, we are actually discussing about this because we might need some more flags so every ship knows who is sending what, and who is supposed to read it. Lets say this is in testing phase ;)

EDIT: My friend, look here: http://foro.spacegame.es/index.php?topic=1649.msg49114#msg49114  ;)
   Escuadra    Plus Ultra   

edward pellew

• British fleet
    • Ver Perfil
« Respuesta #29 en: Enero 22, 2009, 09:15:21 pm »
FLAG QUESTION:

if signal from admiral says veer SE attack #16,
how do you know if he means attack any ship in the Rear div. or attack the Rear Admiral?